Netflix has extended The Crown‘s previously confirmed Season 3 renewal through Season 4.
In addition, the streamer has announced that Olivia Colman will replace Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth in the period drama’s third and fourth seasons, EW reveals.
The Crown Season 3 is slated to release in 2019, followed by Season 4 in 2020.
UPDATED with official Season 3 press announcement:
Helena Bonham Carter and Jason Watkins join the cast of Netflix original series The Crown Season 3
- Helena Bonham Carter will play HRH Princess Margaret
- Quote from HBC “I’m not sure which I’m more terrified about – doing justice to the real Princess Margaret or following in the shoes of Vanessa Kirby’s Princess Margaret. The only thing I can guarantee is that I’ll be shorter (than Vanessa).”
- Jason Watkins will play Harold Wilson.
- Quote from Jason Watkins: “I am delighted to become part of this exceptional show. And so thrilled to be working once again with Peter Morgan. Harold Wilson is a significant and fascinating character in our history. So looking forward to bringing him to life, through a decade that transformed us culturally and politically. And excited to be working so closely with Olivia; and the whole team.”
- The Crown Season 3 will launch in 2019.
Future renewals permitting, the series is expected to conclude with Season 6.
Stay tuned as we now monitor the renew/cancel status of The Crown Season 5…