‘Hillsong: A Megachurch Exposed’ to Premiere on discovery+ on Thursday, March 24
Featuring interviews with Hillsong insiders, megachurch experts and Ranin Karim, the woman whose five-month affair with celebrity senior pastor Carl Lentz led to his downfall, the series will explore the high-profile, star-studded church’s alleged exploitation, abuse and cover-ups.
Los Angeles, CA – February 16, 2022 The explosive three-part docu-series, HILLSONG: A MEGACHURCH EXPOSED, will premiere on Thursday, March 24 on discovery+, the definitive non-fiction, real-life subscription streaming service, with all three episodes available on that date. Featuring interviews with Hillsong insiders, megachurch experts and Ranin Karim, the woman whose five-month affair with celebrity senior pastor Carl Lentz led to his downfall, the series will explore the high-profile, star-studded church’s alleged exploitation, abuse and cover-ups.
“The history of Hillsong is an incredibly compelling story we wanted to explore,” said Howard Lee, President of TLC Streaming and Network Originals. “HILLSONG: A MEGACHURCH EXPOSED will take viewers on an eye-opening journey that will provide new insights into a controversy that continues to be examined.”
Previously announced participants who are featured in the docu-series include:
· Ranin Karim – Had a 5-month affair with Carl Lentz, which ultimately led to Lentz’s termination from Hillsong
· Hannah Frishberg – New York Post reporter who has covered Hillsong’s scandals and alleged abuse in the aftermath of Carl Lentz’s firing
· Jaclyn Hayes – Former volunteer at Wave Church in Virginia Beach, where Carl Lentz served as a pastor prior to joining Hillsong, who alleges he exhibited controlling behavior towards her
· Janice Lagata – Former Hillsong student and volunteer who had close working relationships with Hillsong NYC’s church leadership, including Carl Lentz, and who frequently raised concerns about the church.
· Ben Kirby – Author with expertise on megachurches and creator of the viral Instagram account PreachersNSneakers which chronicles the expensive wardrobe worn by some pastors
With more than 150,000 global members, Hillsong has recently been entangled in scandal. HILLSONG: A MEGACHURCH EXPOSED will profile numerous ex-members of the church who have come forward to share harrowing allegations of the trauma, abuse, financial, and labor exploitation that created a culture of chaos within the church. The series will also examine how Hillsong was able to grow into a global brand, while uncovering the truth behind the headlines of recent scandals and shining a light on the fine line between culture, corporation and cult.
HILLSONG: A MEGACHURCH EXPOSED is produced by Breaklight Pictures, part of The Content Group (TCG), in association with New York Post Entertainment for discovery+.
For more information on discovery+, visit discoveryplus.com. You can follow discovery+ on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and TikTok, and use #hillsongexposed to join the conversation.
discovery+ is the definitive non-fiction, real life subscription streaming service. discovery+ features a landmark partnership with Verizon that gives their customers with select plans up to 6 months of discovery+ on Verizon. discovery+ has the largest-ever content offering of any new streaming service at launch, featuring a wide range of exclusive, original series across popular, passion verticals in which Discovery brands have a strong leadership position, including lifestyle and relationships; home and food; true crime; paranormal; adventure and natural history; as well as science, tech and the environment, and a slate of high-quality documentaries. For more, visit discoveryplus.com or find it on a variety of platforms and devices, including ones from Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Roku and Samsung.
Leave a Reply